Saturday, February 19, 2011

Which cookie are you?

I made cookies tonight because someone (ahem, Joe) was complaining commenting that I hadn't made some in a while.  He was right and he didn't need to twist my arm for me to do so.  
   I believe that baking is one of life's greatest pleasures.  I experimented with baking from my Betty Crocker cookbook quite a bit when I was younger.  I was my own taste tester.  No crumb left behind (I'm convinced President Bush borrowed my theory for political purposes). 
   My mom has pictures of me from this time in my life to prove just how much baking was really happening in that house.  She has conveniently hidden those pictures.  Grandpa once 'joked' to my college friends that I turned out better than he thought I would. You can't blame the man! ( I hope you can read my self-deprecating humor in this...I really do find it quite funny!)
  
   Luckily I grew out of my 'fuller cheeks' phase.  I, however, never lost my penchant for baking.  And every time I make cookies, I always strive for the perfect, round shaped goodness. The stuff that cookbook photos and ooey gooey commercials are made of.  I try and I try to roll the dough into little balls, shape the edges just right, make each dough ball the same size...Without fail, my cookies always come out with obscure edges, lumps, bumps and oddities.  There is usually always one cookie that makes it out 'perfectly'.  You can see the other cookies giving the 'perfect cookie' the evil side glance.  This cookie is the head cheerleader of the group.  Why did that cookie get to be so genetically lucky?  
 *Don't worry - you don't have to call the looney bin...I know my cookies aren't really talking to each other.   However, I wouldn't mind being checked into the Betty Crocker Clinic*
    So after all the cookie chatter was said and done, I found myself learning a life lesson...from a cookie. *I take that back....call the looney bin quick*
   No matter how hard I try to shape and form myself into the 'perfect' cookie, I am always going to have my unique features - ragged edges and all!    And you know what?  The funky looking cookies always seem to get eaten first because they always look the most delectable.  Who wants the cookie without a single 'flaw'?  The flaws are the best part - it's that extra chocolate chunk or crispy corner.  I accept all my cookies for who they are and LOVE them even more because of it!  How boring if all cookies were alike? 
   So, I am sorry to all my former cookies who I stretched and squeezed to try to make into the picture perfect baked treat.  I always loved you all the same and I certainly enjoyed every bite of you...down to the last crumb!

Love,
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment