Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Trying New Things

Today I took a leap...
I love to be in a routine. I love to stay in my comfort zone. I love to play it safe.
For me, I realize at times I can be my own obstacle. My mind and body can get in the way of what I want to accomplish or try.
Today was different. After years of talking about joining a ballet class I finally took a step in the right direction. I didn't exactly join a ballet class but I did push myself to go to a Barre 3 class, a mix of yoga, pilates, and ballet. I had no idea what I was getting myself into and I felt intimidated to attend a class. 
Let me start by saying, it was  HARD! I think of myself as athletic, and even though I am not as in shape as I would like, I have never done something quite this challenging. This experience was one that caused me to go deep mentally and physically and push through even when it was uncomfortable. The end result, a renewed sense of confidence and pride in my self.  I was impressed with how far I could push my body, and how powerful my mind was when it was difficult. But, I feel most proud about the fact that I put myself out there and tried something new.

Another adventure I took on today was cooking. I know it seems small to most, but to me this is my Everest. The kitchen is where I feel the least comfortable. My friends are fabulous cooks and they encourage me, but I finally pushed myself to try. I turned on a little Michael Buble, googled a recipe using items around the house, and went to work. I was missing ingredients so most of my cooking was improv. Listening to the vegetables simmer was music to my ears. I prepped, read the recipe, added to the pot, reread the recipe, stirred, reread again, and so on. At the end of it I had created a turkey and vegetable soup! To be honest, I would rank it "moderate" on flavor, but that didn't matter. I MADE IT! 
So, today turned out to be an exciting adventure. I am proud of myself and I hope this will inspire me to continue trying new things, even when I have no clue what I am doing. 
Here are a few more things I am grateful for:
-My husband who always believes in me
-ranunculus in bloom
-ikea
-strawberries
-an organized closet
-friends who truly care and who I truly care about
-Spring
-having stamps handy
-solitutde
-company
-peace within
-trying new things


I hope everyone is having a terrific Tuesday. May you never let yourself get in the way of your aspirations, hopes and dreams (no matter how big or small).
xo M

No comments:

Post a Comment