Friday, March 18, 2011

Rows of Books

Growing up in Salem, all you hear about is this magical bookstore in Portland that takes up a whole city block! It has every book you would ever want! I remember thinking, 'Riiiight, a bookstore to fulfill my every need? I don't know about this....'
This magical place I speak of is, of course, the infamous Powell's Books.  And let me tell you, it is everything it's cracked up to be.  I often go there with no purpose and just walk the book shelves, stopping to investigate covers that catch my eye...basically window shopping at a bookstore.  It is a way for me to relax and explore.  
It was my first full day of Spring Break and all I wanted to do was get lost in Powell's...and so I did.  I flipped through cookbooks, read chapters from girly novels and debated if I should buy the $18 sequel to 'The Hunger Games' :)  I find myself gravitating towards the books/sections that will offer me something that I need in my life at the moment...today i apparently needed delicious food and tween futuristic love affairs. Go figure.
 I left empty handed (my student budget is better suited for the free public library, which I am very thankful for!) but I felt so relaxed and content afterwards.  
So today I am thankful for the largest new and used bookstore in the world - and that's a real fact! Incredible!
Sara



No comments:

Post a Comment