Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Lovely Lentils

I made this salad last night for dinner and it was great. The slightly sunny weather already has me in the mood for lighter fare and salads for dinner... even if this one did include roasted root vegetables, maybe mother nature hasn't quite caught on to the fact that we are excited about spring!

Lentil Salad
Simmer 1 C. french lentils in water (cover by a few inches) for 20- 30 min. (check them frequently after 20). Drain.

Roast veggies in olive oil, salt and pepper. I used half an onion, a leek, a carrot and a beet... just what I found in the fridge :) Roast at 425 while lentils simmer (I purposely cut the vegetable into small bit size pieces so that they would finish up around the same time as the lentils, I quartered the onion and halved the leek).

Mix Dressing (from River Cottage Every Day) 2 tsp. Dijon mustard (or other hot-ish mustard), 2 tsp. cider vinegar, 3 T. olive oil, salt and pepper.

In the bottom of a large bowl I placed a couple of handfuls of torn arugula. Atop the greens I placed the hot veggies and the lentils. Mix with dressing and serve with garlic-y toast :)

Garlic-y Toast
Broil or toast some good bread (I use our homemade whole wheat sourdough). Once toasted rub with a garlic clove (the bread is like a cheese grater for the garlic... how great is that!) Drizzle with olive oil and top with some good salt (for this bread I like to use Fleur de Sel)

We loved it! Enjoy :)
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment