Thursday, May 26, 2011

Weekend Projects

This weekend found me and my husband knee deep in mud.  What started out as a simple project of constructing raised beds for my backyard, quickly snowballed into an entire weekend excavation project.  Our new backyard has somewhat of a water problem, to say the least.  There was a French drain installed years back, but unfortunately it was not doing its job anymore.  My husband and I dug out our French drain, all 45 feet of it, by hand mind you.  Then we proceeded to haul yards and yards of river rock from our driveway to fill the now muddy trench that we had running down our backyard.  We laid out our raised beds, which started this crazy project and surrounded them with what was left over of the river rock.  In the end it turned out excellent and with the rain the last few days I think we have fixed our water problem, fingers crossed.  With every muscle in our bodies throbbing, hands red with calluses and exhausted to the point of not being able to stand, my husband and I looked at what we accomplished over those 48 hours and we were proud and pleased.  I am grateful that my body is able to do hard work and manual labor, I am grateful for weekend projects and the feeling of accomplishment and I am grateful that I have an amazing partner to work along side...


Before



After
(now all we need is soil and plants, that will be the next project)

I hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day weekend, filled with fun and excitement.  Or maybe a project or two.  Love to all my amazing friends. 

K
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment